An international campaign under the name “Titslamism Free Amina” has spread over social networks, calling for support of a young Tunisian feminist activist, who recently posted photos of herself topless. The campaign calls for protests in front of Tunisian embassies around the world on April 4.
Amina’s photos sparked nationwide controversy following her announcement that she had joined the international feminist group Femen. Since then, rumors about her being threatened and forced into psychiatric treatment have circulated.
In a previous interview with Tunisia Live, lawyer and feminist activist Bochra Bel Haj Hmida denied that Amina was missing or has ever been in a psychiatric facility.
However, Femen France posted on their Facebook page that they have recently contacted Amina, who explained to them that she was isolated in a family house and was not allowed to leave or go to school. According to the conversation posted on Facebook, Amina has been facing the constant threat of violence from some family members and her parents believe her to be psychologically troubled, forcing her to take medicine.
Over 160 people with different nationalities posed naked in support for the Tunisian 19-year-old, with their photos posted in a Facebook album entitled “Support Amina.” Some of these were women from Arab countries, who took off their burqas and niqabs and wrote “Free Amina” on their chests. Several men posted topless photos of themselves as well.
Femen activists called for an international protest in front of Tunisian embassies to show solidarity with Amina on April 4, which they have dubbed “International Topless Jihad Day.”
The Femen website appeared to have been hacked on Friday, with the organization’s front page featuring a message describing the women who posed naked as “prostitutes.”
Sites That Link to this Post
- Un nuevo tipo de protesta: El caso de Amina en Túnez | La Huella Digital | 01 December 2013
- Comunicación, cultura y ciudadanía digital | Un nuevo tipo de protesta: El caso de Amina en Túnez | 30 November 2013
- Seins nus contre répression: que faut-il penser des Femen? – Raison et laïcité – Daniel Baril – Voir.ca | 10 April 2013
- Muslim Women Reject FEMEN’s Attempt to “Liberate” Them | අපෙන් news | 08 April 2013
- Muslim women send message to Femen | EastWestWestEast | 07 April 2013
- That Was the Week That Was (#314) | The Honest Courtesan | 06 April 2013
- Muslim women send message to Femen [News] | ISLAM---World's Greatest Religion! | 05 April 2013
- Tits ‘n all | A Vindication of the Rights of Zombies | 05 April 2013